Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Proposed trip Feb/March 09

Well it's that time of year again. Doing it a little later this year due to work commitments etc. Last year I finished at Pleasant Flat on the Haast. This year I'll start there. Stage 1 will be the Burke, Howe, Douglas Saddle, Okuru, Maori Saddle and the Blue. I had thought of Siberia Saddle as it would have avoided backtracking. However, getting there sounded like a lot of scrub bashing and I absolutely hate that! Maybe that's the reason I like track cutting so much. I'll resupply at Makarora, then do the popular route of the Young, Siberia, Wilkin, Matukituki, Dart and Routeburn. Some of the passes will require care and good route finding, but I think I now have the experience and skills to cope. I don't want to be another statistic! I hope to pop out at the Divide 2 weeks from the start. Cheers Andrew

No comments: